Heartburn – a common issue for all – is some serious and more commonly observed problem in pregnant women. It is really painful especially when a woman needs some good diet and this heartburn stops her from eating anything. Nothing seems good when you are feeling some painful volcano burning inside your esophagus. Well, there are several causes for the heartburn during pregnancy. We will discuss here two main causes of heartburn during pregnancy and later on we will discuss some very easy home remedies for heartburn during pregnancy.
Hormonal Changes causes Heartburn during Pregnancy
Main cause of pregnancy heartburn is the hormonal changes that occur in a woman’s body when she gets pregnant. The progesterone hormone is released in the body that keeps the muscles relaxed during pregnancy. This relaxation also affects the muscle that acts as a lid or door between stomach and esophagus to prevent acidic fluids to pass through. The relaxed valve easily let the acid enter into esophagus which causes the painful burning effect in the chest.
The other less obvious reason for pregnancy heartburn due to relaxed muscles is the slower working of stomach. Relaxed stomach muscles digest food at very slower rate and hence it takes longer than normal to digest food. If a stomach remains busy for a longer time then it can also cause the acid reflux.
Growing Uterus pushes Stomach
Heartburn in early pregnancy is less common and there’s a reason for that. As the baby starts growing in the belly, the uterus starts expanding and to make more room for baby it grows more and more. This expansion for uterus causes the compression of various organs like intestines and stomach. When the stomach is pushed from below by growing baby, the acidic fluids enter into esophagus and the result is obviously the heartburn. This pregnancy heartburn is more common after 5th month of pregnancy.
How to get rid of Heartburn when Pregnant
After reading the causes of pregnancy heartburn, it is easy to understand that it is all natural and you cannot do much to avoid this issue. As it is natural, so we have some natural remedies for heartburn in pregnancy and some natural ways to get heartburn relief during pregnancy.
Home Remedies for Heartburn during Pregnancy
Here we will discuss some of these home remedies for heartburn during pregnancy because pregnancy is a delicate phenomenon and we can’t try everything because everything is not good in pregnancy. So you are going to know heartburn remedies during pregnancy which are safe and tested.
- Ginger – The Spice of Magic
Ginger is mostly common spice found in kitchen which is very effective home remedy for heartburn during pregnancy. Most of experts says it is safe to use ginger to treat acid reflux during pregnancy but avoid its over use as it may be the cause of contractions.
Some of the home remedies for heartburn during pregnancy using ginger are:
- Ginger Tea: Take 1 spoon of ginger and boil it in 8 ounce of water to make ginger tea. You can add sugar if you want to. This is what to drink for heartburn during pregnancy.
- Ginger Candies: Various women reported that they used ginger candies as it was the solution found on internet when they searched “how to get rid of heartburn during pregnancy fast”. And surprisingly they found it effective as well.
- Ginger Ale: Just like ginger candies, ginger ale is another remedy for heartburn relief during pregnancy. Just take few sips and heartburn will be gone. So ginger ale is another answer to the question “What to drink for heartburn during pregnancy”.
- Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy
Get 1 or 2 lemon depends upon size of lemon. Squeeze in a cup of water. If you want sweet taste, you can add honey in it. Now depending on weather you can boil it or you can put ice cubes in it and drink it. So if you are searching what to drink for heartburn during pregnancy then this lemon juice is another answer that you can find and is very effective and safe for pregnant women.
- Coconut Water
Recent studies showed that coconut water is one of most effective natural remedies for heartburn in pregnancy. Coconut water contains acid neutralizing agents which help in getting rid of heartburn. If someone asks you, “What can I take for heartburn while pregnant?” then you can suggest them coconut water with confidence as it is safe for pregnant women as well.
- Kill Acid with Acid
Sounds weird but raw apple cider vinegar does helps in getting relief from heartburn. Most of times heartburn during pregnancy occurs due to low acid in stomach and this deficiency can be covered by drinking more acid like raw apple cider vinegar. Just put 1 tea spoon of apple cider vinegar in a cup of water and drink it an hour before meal. So this is how to get rid of heartburn during pregnancy fast.
- Cool and Refreshing Peppermint
Most of people love the refreshing taste of mint so here we are going to tell how to get rid of heartburn when pregnant using peppermint. Peppermint has the cooling effect and it contains natural ingredients that help your stomach in digesting food and function properly. If you are suffering from heartburn then chew the peppermint leaves directly. The cool and refreshing juice will go down in esophagus and will kill the burning effect. If you don’t want to chew the leaves directly then peppermint tea can be another answer to the question, “What can I take for heartburn while pregnant?”
- Magical Aloe Vera
If you want to know how to get rid of heartburn when pregnant without eating or drinking anything then magical plant aloe Vera is the solution for you. It’s a plant easily found and if you cannot find then you can buy the gel from any local store. Just apply this juice or gel on your throat and chest and you will get heartburn relief during pregnancy.
Tips and Suggestions to Prevent Pregnancy Heartburn
Apart from home remedies to cure heartburn, there are tips by which you can easily avoid this pregnancy heartburn problem from happening:
- Watch your Eating Habits
Your eating style and habits can do wonders to your health and you can easily avoid such issues like heartburn. Here are few tips that can bring a permanent relief from heartburn:
- Chew it well whatever you eat. Chewing food more gives you various benefits like while chewing saliva is mixed well with the food. This saliva is a natural enzyme which helps in digesting food. Second benefit of chewing more is that you intake well crushed food and it makes to stomach job of digesting much easier. A happy stomach never hurts you by giving you heartburn problem.
- Mini more meals: Instead of taking 2 or 3 heavy meals, you should take smaller meals five or six times a day after regular intervals. It will ease your stomach and it will perform well without creating any trouble like heartburn.
- Lying down after taking meal is an open invitation to heartburn problem. While taking meal, sit upright and avoid lying down after eating rather stay sitting or better to stand. Lying down after filling your stomach pushes your stomach and the pushed stomach forces acids to burst out in esophagus that creates heartburn.
- If you have planned to sleep then make sure you take your meal at least 2 hours before you sleep. There are some experts who recommend that you should eat at least 3 hours before going to bed.
- Sleep well and sleep tight
Sleepless moms are more prone to heartburn problem than those who sleep at least 8 hours a day. If you are not sleeping properly then you are putting yourself in trouble. The system which is disturbed more because of less sleep is your digestive system so avoid digestive related problem especially heartburn and ulcer, you should make a strict habit of sleeping at least 8 hours a day.
And while you sleep, make sure that your head and chest is above your belly. It will naturally prevent the acid from coming into esophagus.
- Avoid Triggers
There are certain foods which triggers acid reflux and you have to face the pain of heartburn. Here’s the list of such foods that you should avoid as much as possible during the pregnancy to avoid pregnancy heartburn.
- Excessive sugar
- Caffeine (Tea, coffee etc.)
- Citrus fruits
- Spicy foods
- Cola and other Carbonated drinks
- Acidic vegetables like tomatoes and onions
4- Stay cool by wearing loose clothes
Wearing tight clothes especially tight jeans and trousers may push your belly inside and this force may be the cause of acid reflux. So, avoid wearing tight clothes to get heartburn relief during pregnancy.
Well we tried our best to cover as many home remedies for heartburn during pregnancy and narrated all the causes and triggers, now we hope this article will help in getting heartburn relief during pregnancy. If we missed something about pregnancy heartburn, we would love to hear from you so we may add up to spread your words for humanity.